Saturday, February 19, 2011

Depths and Riches of the Gospel

The gospel...something I'm am continually tasting and treasuring more and more everyday.  There is no deeper truth than the gospel.   To be transformed by the gospel...not just simply one day "believing" the gospel, but meditating on it DAILY.  So I never "get over it".   In fact, in Paul's letters to the churches he preaches the gospel...not to unbelievers only, but especially to the believers.
Here is a quote from a brilliant book, by Milton Vincent "A Gospel Primer for Christians":

"From Paul's testimony I learn that if I wish to become all that God wants me to be, I must behold His glory each day.   But where do I find God's glory to behold?  Indeed, the glory of God is revealed throughout all of Creation, but the Bible indicates that, outside of heaven, the glory of God in its thickest density dwells inside the gospel.  It is for this reason that the gospel is described in Scripture as "the gospel of the glory of Christ" and "the gospel of the glory of the blessed God" (2 Cor. 4:4 and 1 Tim. 1:11). Consequently, as I habitually gaze upon the glory of the Lord revealed in the gospel, I can know that actual deposits of God's very glory are attaching themselves to my person and transforming me from one level of glory to another. (2 Cor. 3:13)"

The gospel is what brings about the sanctification in my life. Another wonderful quote by Milton Vincent:
"The righteousness of God, credited to me through Christ, is not merely something I rest in, but it is also the premier saving reality by which God governs me.  According to Romans 6, when I obeyed the gospel call I was both declared righteous and "became a slave to righteousness" at the same time. Quite literally, the righteousness that God credited to me became my master on the day I was converted!  And now I am daily called by God to surrender the members of  my being as slaves to do whatever this righteousness dictates."

I love the deep joy that comes when I meditate on what is called the "golden chain of salvation" (Romans 8:30) "..and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified." 

I'll never forget the time I finally understood that when Christ paid the penalty for my sins on the cross, He not only justified me...but imputed His righteousness to me! I had often heard the "clean slate" example. "When Jesus died on the cross" they would say "it's like all your sins were erased and you had a clean slate".  The only problem with this analogy, is it doesn't give the full truth of what happened.  The "clean slate" would not be enough to get into heaven.  Christ attatched His righteousness to the slate! So the slate is actually full...of His righteousness.  There is nothing I can add or take away from it!  What a glorious truth!  I don't have to "work" for my salvation...Christ has done it all.  This motivates me to truly honor and obey Him out of a heart that loves Him and is so thankful for His grace. 

Another truth of the gospel is that Christ paid it ALL for me.  This means God will NEVER punish me, because Christ has already taken upon Himself every drop of wrath that was due to me.  God chastises those He loves, but never punishes.  How much easier it is to humbly come to Him to confess my sin...I don't need to "clean up" before I approach Him for prayer, knowing that He already forgave those sins.

One more quote from Milton Vincent's book:
"More than anyting else I could ever do, the gospel enables me to embrace my tribulations and thereby position myself to gain full benefit from them.  For the gospel is the one great permanent circumstance in which I live and move; and every hardship in my life is allowed by God only because it serves His gospel purposes in me.  When I view my circumstances in this light, I realize that the gospel is not just one piece of good news that fits into my life somewhere among all the bad.  I realize instead that the gospel makes genuinely good news out of every other aspect of my life, including my severest trials."

How good the Lord is to His children...As Paul would write, "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." (Romans 11:33) 

If you haven't read or heard of the "Gospel Primer for Christians" by Milton Vincent, I highly recommend.  Another great message I heard on this was done by Carey Hardy at the 2010 Shepherds Conference.  I have attatched it so you too can be blessed by this message, as well.
http://www.shepherdsconference.org/media/details/?mediaID=5230

Enjoy...may He continue to show us more of who He is through His glorious gospel!

No comments: